STRATEGY & EXECUTION
In order to effectively achieve the campaign objectives, WWE’s strategy was an integrated, 360 degree approach that utilized all of the company’s global assets. These included WWE Network and WWE’s television programming, digital and social platforms, live events, merchandise sales, WWE talent, employee communications and media relations.
WWE assets provided a global platform for Connor’s Cure to deliver key messages regarding pediatric cancer education and resources.
WWE’s execution of this campaign was fully integrated throughout its global assets. Specific campaign tactics included:
WWE created “Connor’s Cure” bracelets in support of Connor’s Cure and Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month.
Fans were able to purchase the bracelets at wweshop.com and all live events with 100% of the proceeds going to support Connor’s Cure.
In September, Connor’s Cure was integrated into WWE flagship programming RAW and SmackDown that air on USA Network and SyFy respectively. In total, WWE has nearly 14 million weekly viewers.
On Monday, September 14 and Thursday, September 17, WWE’s flagship programs Monday Night Raw and SmackDown “Went Gold” in support of Connor’s Cure and Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. “Going Gold” consisted of
- Middle ring rope turned gold.
- Connor’s Cure logo featured on the video boards, entrance ramp and digital ring board for maximum on-air visibility.
- All WWE on-air talent, executives and staff wore Connor’s Cure stickers/bracelets.
- Viewer tweets displayed in the lower third scroll that pertained to Connor’s Cure.
WWE Network Integration
Beginning Tuesday, September 1-Wednesday, September 30, WWE Network aired public service announcements featuring WWE Superstars and Divas in support of Connor’s Cure and pediatric cancer awareness month.
WWE Live Event Integration:
Public service announcements were also shown during all 18 live events in the month of September.
WWE Social Media Integration
WWE has more than half a billion social media followers.
For the first time, WWE launched a Twibbon promotion encouraging the WWE Universe to “Go Gold” by changing their Twitter profile pictures gold.
- WWE CEO Vince McMahon, WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon, WWE Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events and Creative Paul “Triple H” Levesque, WWE Superstar John Cena and more than 40 other WWE and NXT Superstars and Divas changed their profile pictures.
- Additionally, nearly 140K people “Went Gold” and changed their twitter profile pictures in support of Connor’s Cure and Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month.
Frequent tweets from WWE Superstars and Divas in support of Connor’s Cure and Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month throughout the month of September.
WWE cross-promoted Connor’s Cure with Ellen Degeneres’s #JustKeepDancing initiative where fans posted videos of themselves dancing to support pediatric cancer awareness. WWE talent who participated in the #JustKeepDancing initiative included:
- WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon
- WWE Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events and Creative Paul “Triple H” Levesque
- WWE Superstar Daniel Bryan
- WWE Superstars The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods)
- WWE Diva Sasha Banks
- WWE Superstar The Miz
- WWE Superstar the Big Show
- WWE announcer Renee Young
- WWE Diva Paige
- WWE Diva Natalya
- WWE Divas The Bella Twins
WWE Digital Media Integration:
- Connor’s Cure was promoted on WWE’s Times Square Billboard 14 times during the month of September.
- WWE.com homepage promotion/takeover.
- WWEcommunity.com homepage promotion/takeover.
- Video package on WWE.com to promote Connor’s Cure/Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month.
- Featured content on WWEcommunity.com throughout the month of September.
- WWE App promotion.
- Email blast to WWE Universe. (fan database)
Employee Communication Integration
WWE activated this campaign with its more than 800 employees and portfolio of business partners.
- Gold bracelets and promotional post card distributed to all employees.
- Email communication with Connor’s Cure details distributed to all employees.
- Press Release detailing Connor’s Cure
- Connor’s Cure media coverage included:
- Elvis Duran and the Morning Show
- Sports Illustrated
- USA Today
- FOX Sports
- Muscle & Fitness
- OK! Magazine
- Local Pittsburgh media